[olug] $10 / 2GB MP3 player for Linux

Jennifer Frasier wookieburgers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 00:09:46 UTC 2008

Can't beat that price.
FYI, if anyone's interested, I have the billboard top 100 hits from
1981-2003, except for the years 82, 86, and 99. The collection is about 9
gigs. It's great for when you don't know what you want to listen to.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Office Depot has a $10 ($13.50 total after $40 rebate/plus tax) for a 2GB
> MP3 player that is officially supported on
> Linux.  No fooling.  Tux is even on the back of the box next to some wiggly
> window icon and a half eaten apple.  ;)
>
> I just picked one up.  It mounts as an external drive (flash drive, etc.).
>  Just copy files over and away you go.  It
> purportedly gets 10 hrs of play on one complete charge.
>
> It also has a 128x128 pixel display which can display JPG/BMP images and
> play video.  However, the only supported video
> is SMV format (no idea; some propriety format I'd guess).  It comes with
> some special (Windows only) transcoder software
> for converting AVI or MPG to SMV.  I couldn't get the software to work via
> Wine.  I'll probably try it out on a Windows
> box just to see.  But at 128x128 I doubt I'll miss the video functionality
> much.
>
> All the features (a few others I didn't mention) can be found here.
> http://trekstor.de/en/products/detail_mp3.php?pid=78&page=1
>
> Eric Pierce

"Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a
futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself
- that comes too late - a crop of unextinguishable regrets."
- Joseph Conrad from Heart of Darkness