[olug] Web Site Certificates - OT

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Jul 31 22:46:03 UTC 2008

> In short -- while having  a central trusted signing area is needed, is it
> generally a farce to charge more than a buck or two for the service because
> some automated script generates signage for the client to use on their
> domains ?  How does $200 buy you better protection than $2 ?  How does the
> $20/year I pay maintain the original ~4k of data that the master cert is ?
> For my $20 do I get retribution if evil is afoot ?

I don't know about the ramifications of being spoofed, but on the front
end, the registrars vary widely on how much verification they do on
your identity before they put their stamp of approval on you.  Newer
web browsers (FF3, IE7) now visually indicate how thoroughly your
identity has been verified.  Some even delve into your D&B or corporate
tax records to make sure you are who you say you are.  All that leg
work has to be done by some human who doesn't work for free.