[olug] MythTV and firewire control of Cox digital cable tuner

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jul 31 14:14:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Benjamin Watson <bwatson1979 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Now I'm curious as to whether or not you can feed that FireWire out to
> some other stream recorder (e.g. configure another "tuner" in Myth)
> and record directly from the box.  Any *nix software that can record
> directly from FireWire?

If I read between the lines on the MythTV/FireWire Wiki page correctly, I'd
think that as long as you were sending the video stream out the FW port then
any DV capture program could grab the video.  The only thing that MythTV
adds is sending the channel change commands back to the converter box.

(IANA MythTV expert.)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal