[olug] colocate options in the Omaha area?

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Thu Jul 31 03:48:01 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 16:13:23 Adam Haeder wrote:
> What is everyone's suggestions for locally operated co-location facilities
> in the immediate area? I get asked this quite a bit, and other than the
> big guys (like CoSentry) I don't know much about the smaller offerings. If
> I'm a small-time business and just need to put a box somewhere, who should
> I call?

This question pops up every three months or so.   So let me ask this?  What do
you need?

1 Security
  a biometrics and man trap
  b badged room
  c locked door

2. Power
  a. Conditioned
  b. OPPD Surge Supressor
  c. APC Unit
  d. Hey Martha, grab me a another drop cord.

3. Access
  a. 24x7x365
  b. business hours
  c. call the owner to get let in. if he's not too busy.

4. UPS
  a. Natural Gas Generator
  b. 1 hour on battery
  c. I'll take my chances

5. Bandwidth
  Fill in your traffic per month here.

Hosting a hobbyist box could simply be covering the power costs,  Hosting
someone's company email server requires bandwidth, good power, and other
infrastructure with costs that need to be recovered.

One of the responses to the OP mentions a "community co-lo".  What kind of
requirements does that beasty have?   Someone's back office, a rack at
Co-Sentry or somewhere in between?   How much a month are you willing to
spend for a community colo membership?

If we have target, something might develop.....

Dave Thacker