[olug] MythTV and firewire control of Cox digital cable tuner

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 03:27:04 UTC 2008

> From reading the Motorola manual for the DCH3416 (my decoder box), it touts
> the FireWire and HDMI as being the two preferred digital HD ports for
> connecting a TV.
>
> I walked through the cable box on-screen setup menus but couldn't find
> anything referring to FireWire/1394 (but I'm sleepy and could have missed
> it).
>
> Tomorrow I'll call Cox and open a ticket, and tomorrow night I'll play with
> the MythTV side to see if it can see anything on the other side of the
> cable.
>
> Dan

Just a quick side note.  If it does spit out data via firewire, I believe
it's still in an encrypted Transport Stream 'file' (since Cox encrypts
everything, I imagine they'd tell the box to encrypt the out going firewire
as well).  Not too useful without something to decode it... which doesn't
exist afaik.

Secondly, yes, you might be able to at least change channels with it.  Do
you really wanna blow $30 on a firewire cable just to have faster channel
change times as compared to an IR blaster ?.  And be severely limited in
cable length?

-Will