[olug] MythTV and DVD importing questions

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Jul 28 15:26:19 UTC 2008

I finally took the plunge and I am getting a MythTV system setup using the
Mythbuntu installation image.  My system is kind of unique in that I don't
have any tuners in it right now -- it's only a media storage system at the
moment, and that's led to some questions.

One big reason for this setup is so I can load on our favorite movies and
then store the DVDs away.  So far this has worked well on most DVDs.
Unfortunatly the new Pirates of the Caribbean DVDs (specifically #2 and #3)
have some new copy protection schemens and the built-in DVD importing tools
of MythTV can't read it.  I found a way around by using DVDFab under Wine so
I now have all the raw DVD files (.IFO, .VOB, etc) on my HDD.

Questions:
1: I would really like to keep the .VOB files for viewing - how do I get
MythTV to find these files and move them to the /var/lib/mythtv/videos/
directory?
2: If I can get a .ISO built from these files, can I point the MythTV import
utility at this _file_ and import from ther?
3: Is there another option I'm missing?

It would be neat if I could get MythTV to call DVDFab to extract the files
rather than the internal ripper -- anyone seen that setup?

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal