[olug] [ot] Sudden wireless problems with a MacBook Pro

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 20:35:48 UTC 2008

So here is my report:
* Installed MacStumbler on the MBP.  When the network was up, it starts but
shows no networks.  When the network is down, it crashes on startup.
* Installed NetStumbler on the Wintel machine.  It shows only my network
* Craig lent me his NetGear router and it works fine!  I'm typing this on
the MBP right now.

So it seems the router is just a tad out of wack and the Mac doesn't like
it, while the Wintel machine (using a Linksys USB Wireless adaptor) is
running fine.  So it's probably 70% routers, 30% Mac but which is the
cheapest.

I'll keep the Netgear running through the weekend just to make sure that it
still works, but I'm already happier than I have been in days with my
internet situation!

thanks again for all the pointers . . .

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Kelly Williams <kwilliams at nethtc.net>
wrote:

> I once had a problem like this. i tried different wireless cards and
> still it did work right. I went downtown and got a new router.
>

> Brian Roberson wrote:
> > Mike Hostetler wrote:
> >
> >> My theory of the moment is that some neighbor just got a wireless router
> >> that is running all over the board on channels and the MBP is more
> sensitive
> >> to it than the Dell box.  But I'm willing to listen to any ideas and
> (even
> >> better) any possible solutions!
> >>

> > If you suspect RF interference, specifically other AP's, I would suggest
> > you grab a wifi stumbler app and review the spectrum.
> >
> > A few pointers:
> >
> > Linux: grab kismet [1]
> > Win: grab netstumbler [2]
> > Mac: macstumbler[3] or KisMAC[4]