[olug] Networking issue

Craig Wolf CJWolf at mpsomaha.org
Thu Jul 17 14:40:44 UTC 2008

I have an issue that MIGHT be network related but I am starting to pull hairs.  This is a long story (6 months -3 year's worth) that I will try to sum up.
I have an application that a customer runs.  When more than 1 person is in it, random individuals get kicked out of the app and lose what they are working on.  It is a front-end application attaching to a MDB file on a server.  The file is an access 97 file (I know, they should REALLY think about moving up in the world to run on an SQL DB but...)  This file started out on a Linux Samba share but the company said that will NEVER work.  Had to share it off a WinXP Pro machine and it kinda worked but still had the occasional issue with kicking people out.
We had to add Win2k3 servers for another application so I moved the share to the MS DB server.  They are STILL having the problem and getting worse since they have more people trying to work in it.  The company is washing their hands of me as it stands right now so I am GOING to have to figure this out on my own...hopefully with some help from my oluger friends.

I have turned off opportunistic file locking on the server and workstations and that made it a little worse.

Network layout is such: servers and workstations are all in the same subnet.  1 OpenSuse server is the File Server as well as the router for the site.  2 Win2k3 servers (1 Web, 1 SQL server).  1 Apple server for the remote sites.  There are 14 workstations at this corporate site.  1 24 port switch with a couple printers.

I know that this is not necessarily a Linux question but here is where I find the smartest people I know...

Please ask me any further details I can give to help with this.

I am willing to pay someone for their time if the only way to fix this is an on-site visit to see the break in action/record packets/etc.  I just need to find a fix sooner than later considering the time wasted so far.

Thanx to anyone with ideas!!

Craig Wolf
Wolf Computing Services
(402)990-3010