[olug] strange NFS behavior on clients

thelarsons3 at cox.net thelarsons3 at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 20:33:20 UTC 2008

I have Solaris as a NFS server with three clients: NetBSD, Irix, and Linux.  (The intent is to download any interesting sources once and build on all my systems.)  NB is the first one I used, and it's been working fine.

Then I tried Irix, but I can't open large-ish files for reading.  If I try to more/cat/vi anything more than several kB it just hangs until I ^C the process.  From Linux it's worse - ^C won't kill it, I have to open another session and kill the first shell.

This behavior only happens with files on the NFS share.  I am mounting manually on the clients right now.  This is my first attempt doing anything with NFS, and I'm very puzzled.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim & Alethea