[olug] OT: more Hans goodness

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Thu Jul 10 20:04:51 UTC 2008

It really doesn't matter what the developers, or IP lawyers think. Unless
your position is tested in court, the best you can do is speculate. It may
be very educated speculation, in some cases, but speculation nonetheless.

I've never thought about this before, but Bill's point about the definition
of a derivative work is interesting. This whole attitude in the Free
Software community that using so much as one line of GPL code infringes the
copyright of the whole almost certainly violates the spirit, if not the
letter, of copyright law. How would the Fair Use Doctrine apply in this
case? I don't think we have an answer to that.