[olug] OT: follow up on component capture and a myth/pv350 question

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 04:06:37 UTC 2008

Check the number of tuners available on the PVR card.  I believe the
150/250 have a single tuner whereas the 350 has two tuners.  You could
grab 2 pvr150s and accomplish the same thing (record 2 channels
simultaneously, record 1 watch 1 live, etc.).  Even if the COX S-Video
to PVR interface doesn't work, you could feed the COX box Coax output
to the PVR and record whatever the cable box is pumping out.  MythTV
supports multiple PVR cards (e.g. multiple tuners), just have to set
them up.

Again, if you buy a Hauppage PVR, most of them come with remotes that
work with MythTV out of the box.

The IR blaster on the other hand connects to a serial port on your
computer (make sure it has one).  You tape (ther other end of) the IR
Blaster over the top of the IR receiver on the Cable box.  This allows
IR signals to travel from your computer (via a configured Myth) to the
cable box for channel changing.  Another cool thing about the IR
Blaster is that it has "pass through".  That is, even with the
transmitter taped over your COX IR receiver, you can still use your
COX remote if you're not using Myth.

HTH,

Ben