[olug] OT: follow up on component capture and a myth/pv350 question

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:51:36 UTC 2008

newegg has a leadtek card that can do it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815122009

Subpar reviews for the card, but I think those focus on the tuner
part, rather than component capture.

If Cox spits out the HD stuff via component as well as dvi/hdmi, I
wonder if something like this would be able to capture it.... hmm...

And for what it's worth, I picked up a very cheap MCE friendly
card/remote off ebay that has horrid reviews elsewhere (hence it's
cheap heh). Comparing the box art / description (Conexant Cx23416
/Conexant Cx23880) with what's on the ivtv site, it'd be based around
the "Conexant Blackbird Design" which will guarantee me a rough
journey if I attempt to use it in a Myth setup :).... but I figure for
now it'll at least get me off the ground with the XPMCE2005 system
I've got (bought the system a year or two ago, came with it
installed).... and perhaps get a feel for if I really wanna use a
computer as PVR goodness.  If anything, the less than $20 paid for the
card (including s/h) might get me a usable PC remote heh.

Reguarding the myth question, someone had mentioned hooking cable in
and then svideo/irblaster from the cable box... on a PVR350.  Does
this mean it can record from both at the same time or is there extra
myth setup stuff ?  I don't need the tv output of the PVR350, so
wouldn't a 150/250 with svideo/irblaster be a more cost effective
solution ?

-Will