[olug] $10 / 2GB MP3 player for Linux

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 23:18:36 UTC 2008

Will Langford wrote:
> Wish I could have a say in the format wars :(.
>
> My ears don't match the mp3 psycho-acoustic model so they're...
> headache causing after a short while.  OGG did better, for sure.. but
> still not the greatest.  WMA also falls short of of OGG to my ears.
>
> So far, the apple AAC stuff is treating my ears right... so... I'm
> kinda locked into iPod goodness (for better or worse).
>
> And just so people don't try to blame the audio equipment, I own a
> pair of Sennheiser HD580's and a pair of Bose Acoustic Quiet's :).

I blame the bit rate then of your MP3s/OGGs.  At 256 kbits/second for either of them I cannot discern *any* difference
between them versus the CD it was burned from.  Or to be really hard core max it out at 320 kbits/second.

I'd be very surprised if you can *reliably* pick out the MP3/OGG from the CD in such a battle.

Eric Pierce