[olug] Laptop options.

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Jan 31 03:57:41 UTC 2008

Dan Linder wrote:
> I thought companies like Dell/HP/IBM/Compaq/Toshiba/etc were bowing to
> pressure and keeping XP as an option, but I sure can't find them (HP sales
> support gave me ONE model that could be ordered with XP).  If they went to
> Best Buy, will BB have any WinXP models?

If you want XP (any flavor) on a brand-new laptop ignore the cheap-a$$
consumer-oriented garbage.

BB won't carry what they're looking for. Same goes for NFM, OfficeDepot,
OfficeMax, or any other brick-and-mortar place.

As far as Dells go, you can still order the business-oriented Latitude
D-series laptops with XP. I'm sure the business-oriented HPs and IBMs
will be much the same.

There is also the option of the Dell Factory Outlet:
http://www.dell.com/outlet

Personally, if I were going to get a Dell I would go with factory outlet
regardless - there is a quite substantial $$$ savings, and the factory
outlet Vostros, Optiplexes, Precisions, and Latitudes have the exact
same 3-year NBD warranty as their brand-new counterparts.

You might find a consumer-oriented Inspiron with XP; if you don't see
what you want right away, have patience. The factory outlet inventory
changes hourly.

> My other option is to pay the Microsoft tax twice and purchase a copy of
> Windows XP to install over Vista.  I'd rather the put that additional $100
> toward other upgrades, but XP is a definite requirement for this solution
> and that might be my only route. :-(

If you have XP Pro media and a machine with Vista Business you can
downgrade Vista Business and be 100% legal.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us