[olug] OT: Job Posting - Systems Engineer II (System Administrator)

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jan 28 20:14:40 UTC 2008

The company I work for us currently looking to hire a System
Administrator.  We're not a 100% Linux shop, but I would say I spend a
good 75%+ of my time dealing with Linux related stuff (the rest being
a mix of network stuff, Windows stuff, etc).  Please note, this is not
for an entry-level position.  Anyone who's interested should contact
me, and I can either pass your resume on to HR, or I can give you
contact information for HR.  Additionally, if anyone has any
questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a note. ;-)

Systems Engineer II

*Required Background and Skills*

• Three to five years Linux system administration experience.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing
purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making
presentations to an internal audience, and interacting positively with
upper management.
• Independent problem-solving, self-direction.
• Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration;
for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and
configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing
third-party software.
• Has a solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system;
understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices
and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, RAID, logical
volume management).
• Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing
environment concepts; can configure NFS, LDAP, ActiveDirectory
domains, DNS, and DHCP; understands basic routing concepts.
• Proficiency in host security (e.g. passwords, uids/gids, file
permissions, ACLs, filesystem integrity, use of security packages).
• Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Tk, Perl,
VBScript, a shell).
• Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.
• Windows Server administration experience.

*Desirable Background and Skills*

• A degree in computer science or related field.
• Significant programming background in any applicable language.
• Experience with both UNIX-based and Windows-based operating systems.
• Experience with network storage solutions (SAN, Fiber Channel, iSCSI).
• Experience with complex TCP/IP networks (containing routers, switches, VLANs).
• Experience with network security (e.g., configuring firewalls,
deploying authentication systems, applying cryptography to network
applications, intrusion detection, log collection and analysis).
• Experience at a site with a 100% uptime requirement.
• Experience with virtualization (e.g., Xen, VMware).
• Experience with Cisco Unified Communications (e.g., Cisco
CallManager, Unity, IP Phones).

*Appropriate Responsibilities*

• Receives general instructions for new responsibilities from supervisor.
• Assists in the administration of a complex, multi-site enterprise.
• Initiates some new responsibilities and helps to plan for the future
of the site/network.
• Mentors junior system administrators.
• Evaluates and/or recommends purchases; has strong influence on
purchasing process.

--
Christopher