[olug] IMAPS proxy?

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Jan 25 19:50:11 UTC 2008

Obi-Wan wrote:
>>> I may give stunnel a try, too.  In that case, I'd still need an IMAP
>>> proxy, as stunnel merely adds the SSL capability.  We're not gonna
>>> expose our mail server directly to the outside world.
>>>
>> Not sure how stunnel would increase your exposure over what a IMAP proxy
>> would, but then maybe I'm missing something?
>>

> My point was that I'm not gonna install stunnel directly on the mail
> server, so even using stunnel for SSL would still require me to find
> an IMAP proxy to set in my DMZ and then put stunnel on that.  The fewer
> pieces I have to cobble together, the better.  There will be other
> less-Linux-fluent admins that may have to deal with this once I get
> it installed.

Neither end of the stunnel has to be on the machine that is running
stunnel (turning stunnel into the proxy).

On a machine that you want to run the proxy on:

stunnel -d imaps -r YOUR_MAIL_SERVER:imap

 From the outside set the mail client to use imaps on PROXY_MACHINE's IP
address. The only thing you have exposed is the imap port on the mail
server which you will do with a proxy as well.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless