[olug] IMAPS proxy?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jan 25 06:08:26 UTC 2008

Do any of you folks know of any software that will proxy IMAPS
(port 993) connections, terminate the SSL at the proxy, and then
pass the connection off to a back-end IMAP (non-SSL) server?

The non-negotiable back-end server is Oracle Collaboration Suite,
but let's just assume it's an arbitrary, standards-compliant IMAP
server.  OCS has the annoying feature that turning on SSL is an
all or nothing venture.  Either EVERYBODY (even in house) uses
SSL for all connections (web, email, & calendar), or NOBODY can.
There's no way to require it from external connections without
also requiring it internally.  SSL imposes a hefty CPU load, so
we'd rather avoid it altogether and move the SSL terminator out
to a reverse proxy in our DMZ.  We've done that with HTTP using
Squid, but IMAP is proving difficult.

The only IMAP proxy I've been able to find is a Russian program
named nginx (Engine-X), but English documentation is sparse, and
I can't find anything that tells how to configure an IMAPS proxy
(although it does claim to support it).