[olug] Open Likewise

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jan 18 14:26:08 UTC 2008

A customer of mine in Iowa uses "Vintela" (www.vintela.com) to get
authentication from their AD environment to all their Unix systems.  The
probably have over 250 Unix servers, of all flavors: SuSE, RedHat, Solaris,
and AIX.

I don't deal with the guts of Vintela, but from a users perspective it seems
to work just fine.

Of course it isn't free/OSS as I assume the LikewiseSoftware product is.

Dan

On Jan 17, 2008 11:49 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > AD integration for linux.
> > http://www.likewisesoftware.com/community/
> >
> > Anybody played with this yet?
>
> Looks pretty cool.  Although I've not played with that solution
> specifically,
> we do AD authentication from a fair number of Linux boxen at work.  I've
> always set it up using samba & winbind.  Not trivial to figure out the
> first time through, but now that I've got my cookbook written, it works
> pretty well.
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
>   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)