[olug] cups

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sat Jan 12 02:11:28 UTC 2008

Rob Townley wrote:
> Sorry i don't have a reference for cups.
> Have you ruled out the firewall?
> Can you open http(s)://ipaddress:631/ <http://ipaddress:631/> from another
> machine on the LAN?  From localhost:631?
> Does netstat -an indicate port 631 is shared on anything but 127.0.0.1?
>
> #Generate a list of your firewall rules:
> iptables -list
> #Turn off the firewall _temporarily_ on many machines:
> service iptables stop
> #Turn the firewall back on:
> service iptables start
>

> Over the New Year's Holidays, i had to do some big backups.  mounting with
> type CIFS worked where smbfs did not.   Are your clients trying to print
> using SaMBa, lpr, or some goofy Internet Print Protocol?

I'm just trying to print from the local box so far.  I'll worry about
sharing once I get the printer to respond.

I did find where the log file is kept, which is much more informative
than what is displayed thru the web interface.  There is a perl error
displayed, though I forget what right ATM.  Is CUPS written in perl?

Tim
--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org