[olug] Anybody using IPv6 yet? IPv6 over IPv4/Cox?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Feb 26 13:57:34 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Drag Sidious wrote:
> soo.. I hope I got this correct; a router that supports 6to4 would allow
> me to make a internal ipv6 network accessable from the ipv6-enabled
> internet through a single ipv4 address?\

Or, more accurately, 6to4 just defines that packets sent to
2002:aabb:ccdd::/48 are to be routed via simple v4 encapsulation to
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd using the BGP-best route.

Your router would simply need to recognize these and be told where to route
them.

> Of course if I make a ipv6 only internal network I'd have to also setup
> my router to do translation from ipv6 to it's single ipv4 address.
> Something like that.

There are custom DNS and proxies to allow v6-only type things.
Unfortunately, I use Linksys PAP2-NA, which has proprietary v4-only firmware,
not to mention Asterisk which is still v4-only. :(