[olug] Zimbra Opinion

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Fri Feb 15 00:51:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Craig Wolf wrote:

> Anyone used Zimbra before?  If so, can I get your opinion??

Nerd. :)

We evaluated Zimbra a few years ago, and it is _amazingly_ sexy.  We
decided against it because of cost, a few infrastructure requirements,
and because we need something that degrades gracefully for the users
who are still on, I dunno, AOL 4 or whatever, but I have never wanted
to make out with a webmail interface so badly.  (Since then, Roundcube
has come in a close second in the category of Lickable WebMail
Interfaces.)

For home use, the only potential snag I can think of is the mail
store; Zimbra uses some funky half-maildir-like, half-MySQL-driven
abomination that is impossible to back up coherently -- unless, of
course, you pay for Zimbra's backup script.

Have fun!  Nerd.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University