[olug] Router Need

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Feb 14 23:20:04 UTC 2008

> Multiple locations / one roaming mobile device
> A server at each location
> Each location has a different network setup. ie different default
> gateways, different subnet masks
> Each server at each location has a different ip address and network setup
>
> Current Modus Operandi
> The current mode of operation is for the ultrasound tech to change the
> network settings on the device when he arrives at each location. I
> would like to avoid him having to do that.

This is exactly what DHCP was designed to handle.  You setup your
parameters for each subnet so that hosts on that subnet are given
the correct network settings.  You then set the lease time nice
and short so that when the tech enters the area, he's guaranteed
to be requesting a new lease, which will give him the proper settings
for that subnet.  If he's powering on the device after he arrives
(as opposed to leaving it one while travelling), then you need not
worry about the lease times, as most devices will reacquire a lease
at boot, regardless of the status of their last lease.

Here at BryanLGH, we have several mobile medical devices that do
exactly this.