[olug] Mobo/Video recommendations

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Feb 7 19:38:03 UTC 2008

Adam Lassek wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend getting a P965 board for a new machine, that tops out
> at 1066MHz and is a generation old at this point. I have one of Intel's new
> X38 boards:

Ordinarily I would agree, my first suggestion would be a Supermicro P35
or X38 motherboard with a E6750 or E6850 CPU.

But, the OP *did* mention a desire for non-bleeding-edge hardware, hence
my suggestion for previous-generation tech.

My experience has been that even the latest and greatest Intel and
Supermicro motherboards Just Work with any OS I would want to run
(Windows, BSD, Linux, etc) with little or no fuss.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us