[olug] Video Conversion Help

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 19:02:15 UTC 2008

I believe I was asking along these lines before, but I'm not sure I
asked specifically about software programs.  Either way I am going to
rip my entire DVD collection (about 400 discs) and I would prefer that
my PS3 can play the video files I spit out.  I can eventually build a
Linux home theater PC, but the PS3 picks up shared video files just
fine for me at the moment.  The PS3 seems fickle about what it plays.
It supposedly supports a bunch of codecs, but it won't play one XVID
file, and then it plays another.  That is an issue I'm going to take
up with a Sony PS3 forum, or tech support.  However, I'm looking for
an app (can be Windows or Linux as I dual-boot) to help me rip the
DVDs and convert the files.

I'm not opposed to a bash script and doing it via the command line.

I'm assuming mpeg-4/mp4 files with h.264 encoding is the way to go,
but frankly I'm not set on a container or codec.  If it looks pretty
good, I can get a movie around or under 1 gig in size (that is what
I'm hoping for at least) and it will play, I'll be happy.

Suggestions for apps and methods?

-- T. J. Brumfield
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick