[olug] Amarok 2 is finally out.

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Thu Dec 18 03:03:28 UTC 2008

Greater control of the interface would be good, but I am becoming
increasingly of the opinion that aesthetically pleasing defaults go the
longest way to attracting new users. It's good to see Amarok being ported to
Windows, and Banshee supporting OSX; another important way of attracting
users is the ability for them to try it out in their comfort zone.

I have a Windows VM for development, but I don't have it set up for iTunes
currently because the free version of VirtualBox didn't support USB. I think
the latest Sun release changed that, but I'm loathe to make major changes
until my project is done; I'll look into doing that later, probabably the
same time I upgrade my OS to 64-bit.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my Touch for anything. In fact, there
really isn't anything else that is even comparable (iPhone doesn't count).
Dealing with the annoyance of its anticompetitive design is better than not
having it. But I'm torn; Apple makes some of the best hardware money can
buy, I just wish they were a little less evil.