[olug] disable the default search domain?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Thu Dec 11 19:04:49 UTC 2008

We have a DNS wildcard here.  This is affecting my sendmail box.  When
it tries to send mail to an invalid domain, such as foox123.com, the DNS
lookup initially fails, but then it tries foox123.com.mydomain.com and
it gets back an IP (because of the dns wildcard).   So the message says
in the queue for days while it tries to deliver that message to a server
that's not a mail server.

To be clear - I don't have any "search x" lines in my resolv.conf file.
Its happening because the machine's domain name is a search domain by
default.   I haven't found a way to disable this, other than to change
the hostname to be "machinename" instead of "machinename.mydomain.com".
I'm not sure what else that might screw up.  Any ideas?

-Ryan