[olug] Teachers are the obstacle between the classroom and

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 23:38:04 UTC 2008

Easy guys.

I don't think anyone thinks that "all" teachers are idiots, or even
like the one mentioned.  Everyone has had good teachers, and everyone
has had ones that made you wonder how they made it out of the house
that day.

I former teacher once told me, "The word teacher is the only one-word
oxymoron in the English language."  There's also the old saw that
"Those who can't do, teach."  This isn't a new stereotype, and like
all stereotypes it's not universally or even generally true, however
there are examples that reinforce the stereotype.

Something that we as I.T./technical people forget, is that not
everyone thinks like us.  Hard to believe but it's true. Most
technical people can pick up a book and learn on their own.  That is
not a universal skill.  However, most I.T./technical guys are not
skilled practitioners in other areas.  For myself, music and most
visual arts are complete mysteries.  Social skills is noted as a
particular weakness for us.  Are there computer guys who are good at
social situations?  Sure, but there are also a lot of them that most
decidedly are not.

Bill