[olug] NAS Cluster

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Dec 9 14:48:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
> Anyone have experience with openfiler?  It looks interesting.

We used it at my previous job with reasonable success.  It installed
easy enough, and worked quite well.  Getting it configured for LDAP
support for permissions took a little bit of research, but everything
else was really easy to configure, and the LDAP wasn't impossible.  We
didn't have any real issues or problems with it once it was up and
running.

My biggest complaint was that the 'stable' release was getting rather
(very) long in the tooth, and lacking some newer features that we were
hoping for.  The beta release seemed to go on forever, and I had some
concern about whether development on the project had stalled.
However, it looks like they have since released the new version, so
these concerns may be moot.

Basically, you can get everything from a Linux distribution that you
get with OpenFiler, but you'll be doing it all manually.  OpenFiler
allows you to create a dedicated storage appliance out of a machine
with a bunch of disks (or various forms of attached storage) easily
and with a lot of flexibility.

--
Christopher