[olug] Google's Secret OS

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:10:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> BTW: I tried sending this the other day, and it bounced.  In fact, I
> sent two message to olug and they both bounced.
>
> I presume many here read linuxtoday.com and already saw this article:
>

> http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3788821/Does+Google+Have+a+Secret+OS.htm

While I can see google pushing a branded browser for their web
infrastructure, I'm unsure about any desires to produce a branded OS.

On the desktop, there'd be no role for such a thing.  There's plenty of
other unices out there and people have their favorite... pushing an entire
OS would be self defeating.

In the business world, there might be more of a chance -- but businesses
already have an existing infrastructure... convincing them to switch OS's is
probably a huge chore.

The one market where I can see a possible venture point for a new OS would
be netbooks and similar.  Very strong case for it there :)

-Will