[olug] Windows Xserver

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Thu Dec 4 19:10:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:
> In an NX environment the X11 server runs on the remote machine, and it
> uses a non-X11 mechanism running over SSH to bring the remote display to
> you.

That's kind of my problem with it, though.  Yes, this would probably
work to get the software going, but when I'm dealing with headless
Linux servers, I'd rather not deal with having to install and run X
Windows on the box.  Being able to run the X Server on a remote box is
a much cleaner and better solution in this instance.  Especially in a
case like Oracle where X is only required during the installation.

I can see cases where NX would be very useful, but I don't think it's
in any way a replacement for X on a local (even non-*nix) machine.
They both have different use cases, and seem more to complement each
other.

--
Christopher