[olug] Pre-installed Linux machines at BestBuy

Dave Pfister dave.pfister at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:01:57 UTC 2008

Isn't the EEE a netbook?  I seem to remember that it is.  I've actually been
looking at the Linux netbooks instead of a full-size laptop, the form factor
seems so much more convenient for travel.  A co-worker of mine just got one
of the Dell netbooks and it's pretty sweet.

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Amy Mason <amason80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is great news! Here's hoping they don't disappear again like the Linux
> Machines that have visited Walmart, twice.  I remember being quite a bit
> younger and seeing the Linspire machines at the Walmart in Fremont of all
> places a few years ago. I hope this is different.
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Wow... I never thought this day would come (to Omaha).
> >
> > A big box store (BestBuy) stocking pre-installed Linux machines (Asus
> > EEE PC 900A) on site.  It's even in the Sunday ad for $279.
> >
> > Who wants to bet the "techie" WoW/BestBuy staff weren't given any
> > proper training on selling a Linux machine?
> >
> > Either way I'm excited.  I actually had an email thread w/someone at
> > BestBuy corporate back in Spring about getting this very machine into
> > their brick and morter stores.  I just wanted to see one first-hand
> > before laying down any cash.  I honestly didn't expect anything to
> > happen as he was pretty cold to my suggestion.  Obviously, I wasn't
> > the only one prodding!
> >
> > Eric

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
 - Winston Churchill