[olug] DNS lookups lagging?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 11:30:23 UTC 2008

i like NAT as well, but have always had concerns about leakage.  Most of us
probably have the following:
internet <> CableModem <> NAT <> servers and workstations

192.168.*.* is not supposed to be leaked out of your router, but then how is
it that we can ping and open 192.168.100.1 which is the web page of the
Cable Modem?  Ever done a packet capture on a hub connecting your NAT's WAN
port and Cable Modem?  There can be tons of leaked private addresses.  A
long time ago on cox at home connection, would have all sorts of 192.168.*.*
that must be your neighbors or cox infrastructure.