[olug] DNS lookups lagging?

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:30:14 UTC 2008

> NAPT is not supposed to "protect" you in any way. It's just a hack to
> workaround the limitations of the small IPv4 address space. It would be
> perfectly valid for a NAPT router to attempt to automate port forwarding by
> passing on an unknown port to *all* systems and giving it to the first to
> ACK
> it-- which means Nigerians could still get to your toaster without a proper
> firewall in place.

As a quick shrink wrap solution that works for 90-95% of ppl, nat/masq does
great as a firewall deal .

When everything gets globally aware,  I sincerely hope they do something
more along the lines of a universal home server that everything talks to (or
similar)... I'd rather secure one device than hundreds.  Who's going to
provide that single server ? Hah, would I like to be the one :).  $$$$!!!

-Will