[olug] DNS lookups lagging?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Aug 26 16:18:09 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008 21:40:31 DYNATRON tech wrote:
> i don't see any personal benefit to IP6 anyhow, so i'm gonna go old school.
> i've been hearing for the last 10 years how IP addresses are running out,
> and IP6 is the future, but it still seems like hype to me. IP4 works just
> fine for me right now, so i'm sticking with it.

Ah, but do you have globally routable IPv4 addresses on every
computer/device/toaster?
Or do you need to depend on an ugly hack known as NAPT (also erroneously
called NAT) to fit a bunch of private addresses onto a single globally
routable one?

With IPv6, consumers get a nice large (1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176
addresses) /48 subnet by default. What's more is that a /48 is automatically
routed to every IPv4 address: so anything in 2002:0102:0304::/48 gets routed
to the IPv4 1.2.3.4.