[olug] High-tech wiring

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 19:19:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/107447/
> >
> > I'll admit to doing something like this back when I was a broke kid and
> > needed to convert a serial cable into a null modem cable, though....
>
> It would work a lot better on a serial cable that doesn't have to
> worry about RFI and crosstalk between lines.

A coworker and I were discussing the plausibility of this actually working
if ya kept the twisted pairs twisted as close as possible to the wire nuts
and stuff.... not including external interference.

I've seen my share of shredded cat5 and rats nests... but the worst
intentional blunder I can think of is someone who used couplers (49 cent
plastic housing thing to directly hook one cable to another) because the 300
foot cable he had wasn't long enough...

Think the most amusing thing I've ever witnessed was 15 years ago... a guy
(read: teen) I knew in florida used to suspend his hard drive (pre 504-ide
barrier) from the ceiling using fishing line from time to time.  His
reasoning ? Viruses couldn't live that high up.  Truely a sight to behold
and I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it :).

An old pentium 90mhz of mine killed a cockroach, too.  Open case in florida,
It stepped somewhere it shouldn't have :).  Think I only saw a dozen roaches
in the house over the course of 4-6 years, but roaches are common down there
heh.

-Will