[olug] semi-OT: webcam for linux with local device

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 19:51:36 UTC 2008

Doing some more digging.

Apparently adobe does a flash streaming media server thing, and a few other
companies offer similar products.  Cost for the program is prohibitive, and
I'm not entirely sure about platform support server side.. but it does
basically what I've seen on all other interactive cam sites on the net --
flash webcam application on a source -> to the server ->
rebroadcaster/repeater software -> all the clients.

I've not done any serious hosting site searching yet, but cost for a monthly
server that offers this isn't overly evil.

And I've not done a detailed search for info regarding other daemons/etc
that might offer similar functionality based on a 'flash rebroadcaster'...
but it's seeming appropriate to spend a half hour on.

I *think* I saw one demo product that allowed 10 simultaenous connections
for the repeater software, so I might fiddle with that.  Again, I'm not
entirely too sure about which platform it runs on.

Annnnndd -- yes -- this has temporarily taken over for my MythTV experiance
I was going to document :).  I'll prolly start doing both together, I'm just
kind of torn at the moment due to a lack of competant trusting dvi->hdmi
friendly video hardware at the moment... or... spare hard drives to do a
dual boot option for my current xp mce2005 system.

-Will