[olug] semi-OT: webcam for linux with local device

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:18:58 UTC 2008

I'm... looking to stream a webcam from home to a linux dedicated server in a
datacenter.  And I'm not looking for a once-a-second-jpg-update kind of
thing, either.  I want to stream from home (no particular OS in mind) to my
server and have it replicate the stream to any number of clients.

I've had like, zero luck finding anything related.  Am I going to have to do
some evil hackery with netcat / hose-faucet or something to stream from a
device here over the net to the input of some other daemon on the server for
it to serve live stuff ?

To do this correctly am I going to have to get an IP based cam / device and
some how transfer it to the dedicated server and have it cache it for
streaming to clients ?

-Will