[olug] PPPoE on Linux

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Apr 28 22:21:48 UTC 2008

I'll be upgrading my Windstream (Lincoln) DSL line soon, which means
getting a new SpeedStream DSL router.  I'm told that these don't play
nice with static IP's (I have my own /29), so it's recommended that
I simply set the router in bridge mode and then handle all the PPPoE
stuff on my firewall box, which is CentOS 4.  Alas, recent tutorials
on how to do this are proving difficult to locate.  Have any of you
configured this before, and if so, would you like to share details
of how you did it or where you found the instructions?

I run a lot of stuff off that network, so I can't afford to be down
for a long time while I fiddle with this.  I'd like to figure it out
ahead of time and preconfigure what I can before they throw the switch.