[olug] Virtualization Question

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Apr 25 18:53:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008, Dan Linder wrote:
> If your asking about giving the VirtualBox system direct access to your XP
> partition to re-install WinXP onto that partition without rebooting Linux,
> well...  I've done that with VMWare workstation years ago and it worked - I
> would assume that VirtualBox would allow for direct hardware access for
> WinXP.

You've done that with VMWare years ago *booting XP*? Generally, this will not
work because Windows (at least XP and newer) can only handle *minor* hardware
changes, or at least forward-moving ones. Generally, the virtualizers emulate
hardware older/less featured than the real system, so it can be problematic.