[olug] RDAC or SDD for ESX 3.5?

Hurley Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Tue Apr 15 14:56:51 UTC 2008

Here's a tricky one for you:  We are testing ESX3.5 and my guy says he
needs to connect to an old IBM SAN, FAStT200, 1 Gb Fibre (only thing we
have right away with enough space for him).  Everything is zoned right
at the switch, but the server doesn't see the LUN.  The switch sees the
server HBA WWN so it's not a connection issue.

I know that there should be an RDAC driver installed on the server,
which is the old school version of the newer SDD (subsystem device
driver).  I found an RPM for a 2.4.xx RHEL kernel that installed ok, but
seemed to have no effect.  Nothing shows up in installed modules (lsmod)
and I don't know where to go from there on the server.

The 2 problems I have:

1.	Not sure whether the legacy driver I am using actually would
work since it is strictly for RHEL2.4.xxx and this is an ESX3.5
installation (which seems to have 2.4 kernel).  Since 3.5 is very new,
IBM site is sparse (due to the age of the FASt200 and support no longer
exists) and VMware does not create their own subsystem device drivers.
2.	Not a Linux guru per se, more like a long time dabbler.  I have
been using the VMware Virtual Center GUI (SQL based, runs on separate
server) to rescan the disks, since I am not familiar with where to look
in the OS itself.  Since I have seen a few buggy issues with the Virtual
Center during past rescans with ESX 3.0.1 I can't rule this out.

Where would I look in the OS to see if the disks are seen by the server,
to rule out the GUI?

Any other ideas?

Rod

"A good friend will help you move.  A great friend will help you move a
dead body."