[olug] Samba roaming profiles

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Apr 11 05:33:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche.us> wrote:

> On paper yes, in practice no. Besides, those three pieces aren't the
> only pieces you need: you're missing the AD LDAP schema, a DNS server or
> two with support for SRV RRs, a huge number of RPC calls that Samba 3
> doesn't implement, etc. To say that an AD DC is merely an SMB server
> with LDAP and Kerberos is an oversimplification.

So, if a true Microsoft Windows Server 2003 system is needed to get the
bells and whistles of AD for WinXP/Vista clients, can you purchase a single
W2K3 server and setup Linux+Samba servers in remote locations for
authentication and local file/print serving?  Or are there still things
missing from Samba that would still make the systems reliant on the Win2K3
server?

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal