[olug] Samba roaming profiles

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Apr 10 15:22:59 UTC 2008

Adam Lassek wrote:
> Isn't it possible to combine Samba, OpenLDAP and Kerberos to control an AD
> domain? Is that an ugly hack? I know it isn't easy, since I've never managed
> to get it working.

On paper yes, in practice no. Besides, those three pieces aren't the
only pieces you need: you're missing the AD LDAP schema, a DNS server or
two with support for SRV RRs, a huge number of RPC calls that Samba 3
doesn't implement, etc. To say that an AD DC is merely an SMB server
with LDAP and Kerberos is an oversimplification.

If it were that easy it would have been done by now :\

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us