[olug] VirtualBox?

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Apr 3 07:05:37 UTC 2008

Also interesting thing I missed in the COPYING file... Apparently innotek
interprets the GPL in such a way that you do NOT automatically get the right
to allow exceptions on redistribution. That is, while innotek makes an
exception for linking VirtualBox to GPL-incompatible licenses, according to
them you do not automatically get the right to carry that exception forward
on your own redistribution of VirtualBox. Without that exception, you would
be forced to rewrite substantial portions of VirtualBox so as to remove those
dependencies.

Now, I do realize that the very context I am pulling this from ends with a
statement that "innotek also allows you to release a modified version which
carries forward this exception.", and maybe I'm just being paranoid, but
their authorization to carry forward the exception *is not explicitly
irrevocable*. Thus, in theory, they could very well decide in the future to
revoke that exception (or at least the right to redistribute with it) and
(for the most part) kill any attempted forks.