[olug] MythTV + PVR150 + IR Blaster

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Sep 25 03:13:07 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, Benjamin Watson <bwatson1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> With regards to HTPC stuff, how are you guys connecting PC A/V out to
> TVs?  I've dabbled around with LinuxMCE, Myth, Mythbuntu, etc. but my
> problem is actually watching the stuff on a television rather than a
> PC monitor.
>
> Most of the TVs I own are older and do not have HDMI or VGA inputs.
> They typically have coax, S-Video, RCA, or component.  In one trial, I
> connected the S-Video output of my TV-tuner card directly to the
> S-Video input of my TV and the picture was horrible.  I finally dug up
> an old RF modulator I had for the days of connecting old console
> systems to TVs, but have yet to try it.  So, I figured I'd ask what
> you all are doing to get acceptable video quality to show up on your
> television sets.
>
> Ben
I am using an nvidia 6xxx card with tv out.  (s video I believe).  I
am running a dual head config right now, but when I get things to
where I like them, I'll disable the crt/lcd and just have the tv
connected.  The reason I'm running dual head is due to the fact the
reading a tv screen is painful.  I know I could remote X but this is
my first Myth install and I like the warm fuzzies of being there<g>
using old boxes for keyboard stands and mouse pads. ;)

I just looked on new egg and there are nvidia based cards with s-video
out for about $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130039
But keep in mind, I'm a myth newbie so maybe some of the more
experienced myth users will chime in with other/better options.

-jeff