[olug] Moving A/V video to my box

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 03:03:39 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Linder wrote:
> > Eric P wrote:
> >> I just got my hands on an older video camera that only has RCA A/V outputs.
> >>
> >> What are my best options for dumping the video/audio to my box?
> >>
> > There are USB devices that have RCA inputs to allow you to do the same
> > thing.  You'll want to make sure they are supported by your OS and
> > software, but I kinda like that option.  I like the USB option for this
> > sort of thing so I can use it with my desktop, or I could easily loan it
> > out to a friend if they needed it.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> I'm guessing that this device shows up as a new audio and video device in Linux(?)
>
> I see one called EasyCap that goes for around $30.
>
> I see another called GrabBee which goes for $60-70.
>
> So have you used any of these devices before?  If so what were your impressions?
>
> The big question is how well are these devices supported in Linux.
>
> Would a TV card be another option?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Yes, TV cards would be an option.  You should just go see Jay at
RebootTheUser.com 933-6449.  13416 A St behind SkateDaze.  He would
build & sell Gentoo based MythTV boxes for quite a while and has a
multitude of new and used video input hardware.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/yp/emailBListing/?http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto?prop=yp&locale=us&url=http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?tuid=22832772%26ck=4244809790&title=Yahoo!+Yellow+Pages+-+Reboot+The+User