[olug] Moving A/V video to my box

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 04:26:30 UTC 2007

Dan Linder wrote:
> Eric P wrote:
>> I just got my hands on an older video camera that only has RCA A/V outputs.
>>
>> What are my best options for dumping the video/audio to my box?
>>
> There are USB devices that have RCA inputs to allow you to do the same
> thing.  You'll want to make sure they are supported by your OS and
> software, but I kinda like that option.  I like the USB option for this
> sort of thing so I can use it with my desktop, or I could easily loan it
> out to a friend if they needed it.
>
> Dan

I'm guessing that this device shows up as a new audio and video device in Linux(?)

I see one called EasyCap that goes for around $30.

I see another called GrabBee which goes for $60-70.

So have you used any of these devices before?  If so what were your impressions?

The big question is how well are these devices supported in Linux.

Would a TV card be another option?

Thanks,
Eric