[olug] Laptops for Linux

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Tue Sep 11 02:44:54 UTC 2007

Obi-Wan wrote:
>> As far as your choice of distro, I'd second the recommendation for
>> Ubuntu.  It'll go onto my "new" used laptop when I get one.
>
> While I'm on the subject, does anybody know where I can get a decent
> laptop with a ~12" screen for about $400?  I need a cheap, small
> laptop that's very Linux (Ubuntu) friendly.  The less tweaking I
> have to do with drivers & features, the better.
>
> It'll mainly act as a web/email client and as a digital photo
> repository when I'm on the road.  Since this won't be my primary
> computer, I don't need much horsepower -- I'd be happy with 1.2 to
> 1.4 GHz.  A good used or refurb unit is fine.
>
> I don't want a 14" or larger screen, because if I'm on the laptop,
> it's because I want something portable.  If I want a big screen,
> I'll sit at the 21" monitor (2048x1536 pixels) on my desktop in
> my basement.  Alas, most manufacturers seem to think that 12"
> screens are for pros, and they charge twice as much for them as
> for 14" models.
>
> I'm sticking with the $400 price tag because that's what I can get
> for my Mac iBook on eBay.  Anybody want a 900 MHz G3 dual-USB iBook?

A place I've seen cheap laptops at is PCSurplusOnline.com.

I bought my desktop from them, and they're very good on customer
support.  Actually, bought my wifes desktop there as well.

I've seen some IBM laptops there, but not sure if they got down to 12".
  It seems you either need a fairly old laptop, or pretty new to get
that size.