[olug] OT: Crispy Windows Laptop-Followup

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:43:34 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 September 2007 19:50, Dave Thacker wrote:
> > I've been asked to look at a windows laptop that "wouldn't boot".  So
> far
> > I've determined that it won't start it's own display, but if you hook up
> > monitor to it, both the monitor and the laptop display work.  I can boot
> > a Trinity Rescue CD and see the windows drive.  Any ideas on what could
> be
> > causing the local laptop display to behave like that?  I'll go run a
> virus
> > scan while I wait for replies.....  :)
>
> After an evening of working with this, I'm very confident that it's a
> video
> hardware problem.  It's a 3 year old HP Pavilion, any recommendations for
> repair shop?
>
> TIA, Dave

I am sure you tried these, but just to make sure these items are not
overlooked:
1.) Most laptops have a special keyboard key that toggles among LCD only,
LCD and CRT, LCD and TV, JUST CRT.  You want to try both LCD or "LCD and
CRT"
2.) LCD may be just fine,but brightness level may be turned down.  Turn up
and try in a dark room.
3.) Some Laptops have a BIOS setting to choose CRT only that would cause
what you describe.
4.) Booting up with an alternative CD may just duplicate the problem because
framebuffer issues.
5.)  OS Video driver settings are configured for CRT only.
6.)  Depending on the laptop power configuration and whether running from AC
or not, the screen may be blanking right away to save power.  Make sure all
tests are done on AC power.
7.) There is not really a 7, but if you open up the case, be careful of how
much power may be going to the screen.

Does anybody need a Linksys WRT54g power supply or 2?