[olug] WRT (was: Tonight's meeting)

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 02:54:08 UTC 2007

Even with a 54Mbps 11g connection, 54Mbps is the maximum theoretical
throughput of the technology.  Since a radio cannot transmit and
listen at the same time, you automatically have to cut this number in
(approximately) half.  "Typical" throughput rates are measured in the
mid teens to low 20's (Mbps).  11g also doesn't get near the distance
as 11b.

Lastly, you've got to consider your environment.  Coordless phones,
microwave ovens, baby monitors, neighboring APs, etc. all cast
interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum.  This interference can lead to
dropped packets which really hurts TCP's potential throughput.

Of course, 3Mbps wireless compared to 10Mbps on the wired side does
seem a little low.  Then again, it wasn't that long ago when 4Mbps
down was the fastest you could get with COX.