[olug] WRT (was: Tonight's meeting)

Shawn Mattingly smattin at mimezine.org
Wed Sep 5 04:43:45 UTC 2007

I don't have a lot of first hand experience using Linksys WAPs, but I
have set up a lot of them for clients.  I do have a lot of experience
with installing Cisco WAPs and one thing that is different about them is
the antennas.  You can probably get better RF propagation by sticking a
paperclip in the antenna jack of a Linksys WAP than by using the antenna
that they ship with (an exaggeration, don't try it, you will probably
blow the front end of the transmitter and brick your WAP, but still the
antenna the Linksys ships with is rated at something like 1.1dBi of
gain).   You might want to try a different antenna before buying a
different piece of gear.  I have had good luck with this antenna from
Fleeman, Anderson & Bird:

http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1432&cat=282&page=1
<http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=1432&cat=282&page=1>

If you prefer to buy your stuff locally, I talked Mitch at Computer
Outlet Center in Ralston into being a fab-corp reseller and he usually
has a few of these on hand.  For ~$10 it may be worth it to see if your
RF environment combined with a poor emitter is limiting your data rate
or if it really is something to do with the WAP itself.  I have used
these extensively at client installations and for site surveys with
great success.

Shawn